Yes, it is possible to recover files in Windows even if they were permanently deleted. It can be difficult to recover if that part of storage is overwritten where your data once resided. Nonetheless, it is still possible to get that data back. You never know when you get a bit distracted and move that cursor 2 mm to the left and remove an important file. Moreover, that important file could be that very important document you needed for work and you can’t just get it back.
The chances are that if you’re reading this, you’ve already fallen victim to the curse of deletion. Take a deep breath though, because everything is just fine. You can easily recover files in Windows. Getting your precious files back is now easier than ever. So, keep reading this guide to recover your files in a snap.
Main Methods to Recover Files in Windows
There are two most reliable and easy ways to recover files in Windows. You can either use the previous version backup or a third-party software. However, the first thing to do is to check if you even deleted the file. Unless you deleted the file using ‘Shift+Delete’, there’s a good chance the file is still in the recycle bin. Just open up the recycle bin and see if the files are in there. If they are, then you’ve successfully managed to recover files in Windows because they were never deleted in the first place. If you didn’t find the files in the recycle bin, try the following methods to recover files in Windows.
1. Recover Files in Windows using Previous Versions
This is a built-in feature that lets you recover files in Windows if you regularly backup your system. If you have the Windows backup enabled, then use this method. Otherwise, you may skip to the second method. In order to recover files in Windows using the previous versions backup feature, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the folder that contained the deleted file.
- Right-click that folder and then click ‘Restore previous versions’.
- A list of previous versions of the file would appear. Double click the previous version of the file/folder that you want to restore.
- Drag the file that you want to restore into another location and it would be saved there.
If you didn’t manage to recover the deleted files using this method, use the second method.
2. Recover Files in Windows using a Third-Party Software
In case you were unable to recover files in Windows using the first method, this is the one for you. There are a ton of data recovery software available that claim all sorts of stuff. However, most of these do not really do what they claim except one called EaseUS. It is currently the best software available to recover files in Windows. So, in order to get your files back using EaseUS, follow these steps:
- Download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard from the official website and install it.
- Open up EaseUS and select the location of the deleted file.
- Click the ‘Scan’ button in the bottom right. A result would be displayed in the ‘Deleted Files’ folder on the left.
- Select the files that you wish to recover and click ‘Recover’ in the bottom right. Select the folder where you wish to store the recovered data. You will be notified that you have successfully managed to recover files in Windows.
There you go, it really was that easy! Let us know in the comments below if you managed to recover your files.