Here you will find two easy methods to remove duplicate mac files. Mac is an excellent operating system for general productivity. Whether it is editing videos, writing research notes or just watching movies, most of our Mac devices don’t break a sweat performing these. However, sometimes we get lost in our productivity-driven lives so much that we forget something very important.
The very device that fuels our productivity, our Mac, needs some care and maintenance too. Our Macs are full of duplicate and unnecessary files just because we don’t really pay attention to it that much. This can accumulate over time and make your Mac slower and over-encumbered. So, in order to avoid full hard drives and sluggish performance, we’re going to teach you how to remove duplicate Mac files easily.
Two Ways to Remove Duplicate Mac Files
Duplicate files on your Mac exist mainly because of carelessness. There are instances where you accidentally click a download link twice, copy a file when you wanted to move it or just forget that you already have the same file in another folder. Now, in order to remove duplicate Mac files, you can either install a third-party application or remove duplicate Mac files yourself, manually.
1. How to Remove Duplicate Mac Files Manually
In order to remove duplicate Mac files manually, you need to use the Finder on the Mac operating system. Follow these following steps to remove duplicate files manually:
- Open the ‘Finder’ app and click the ‘File’ button to open a drop-down menu.
- Select the ‘New Smart Folder’ option and then click the ‘+’ (Plus) button in the upper right corner.
- Now, you can use the Search option at the top to search for different types of files like Documents, Music, Videos etc.
- Sort your search results by name by clicking on the ‘Name’ column heading at the top. This would show you all the files that appear twice and thus, are duplicates.
- Simply select them and press delete to remove duplicate Mac files.
This method is easy and simple if you have a few duplicate files and you have an idea about their whereabouts. On the other hand, if you have a lot of duplicate files clogging up your system, then this might not be the most efficient way of doing it. To remove duplicate mac files in these kinds of scenarios, you can use the following method instead.
2. Remove Duplicate Mac Files using a Third-Party App
For cases when you have to remove duplicate mac files hidden away in parts of your Hard drive you wouldn’t necessarily access very frequently, using a third-party application might be the best solution. There is a plethora of free applications available on the Mac App store that can do the job for you. We recommend using a clean-up app called Dr. Cleaner, which can not only remove duplicate files but also other unnecessary files as well.
Follow these simple steps to remove duplicate Mac files:
- Download Dr Cleaner from the official website or the App store.
- Open Dr. Cleaner and click ‘Duplicate Files’ on the left to remove Mac duplicate files.
- Select the folders you want to scan and click Start.
- After the scan is finished, the program would notify you about the duplicate files that have been found. Select the duplicate files that you wish to delete.
- You can either choose ‘Remove to Trash’ or ‘Delete Permanently’ options depending on your preference.
- And that’s it, Dr. Cleaner will do the magic and remove duplicate Mac files from your system automatically.
Leave a comment down below if you found this tutorial helpful. Enjoy your fast and clutter free Mac!